Saturday, August 9, 2014

Lolita 52 Challenge, week 4

Ha! On time this week! I'm choosing the topic "Wardrobe blunders! Things I bought and regretted!", and we're diving right in.

Most of you know I'm not really considered a "true" lolita because I don't spend money on brand. As of today, I don't own a single brand item; the closest thing I have to brand is a skirt from Surface Spell. As I get more money, this might change, but I still won't buy anything brand new.

When I'm not making my own, I like secondhand pieces. More importantly, I like things I can pick up at thrift stores and alter. One day, when I was just starting out in lolita and before I could really sew all too well, I found what looked like some sort of an ivory wedding dress. It was knee length, had some very pretty beading, and an empire waist. The only thing I didn't like was it had spaghetti straps. I thought I was in love, thinking I'd found a great hime piece. I took it home, bound and determined to coord it perfectly.

This never happened.

Let's set aside the fact that it STILL needs to be taken in to fit me. The problem with it was because it was so intricately beaded, boleros looked wrong, no matter what color they were. The way the beading was made the bust sit funny, none of my blouses looked right. Don't even get me started on the waistline and petticoats. I just couldn't get it to look right with the rest of my wardrobe.

It still sits in the back of my closet waiting for me to either work up the nerve to get rid of it, or finally do something about coordinating it. I highly doubt I'll do either, since I paid good money for it, I doubt I'll ever find anything that'll look good with it, and a situation might arise in which I need a more formal dress.

I really shouldn't've bought it in the first place.

4 comments:

  1. You don't have to wear brand to be a "true lolita"! As long as your outfits fall within the guidelines of lolita fashion, you are a lolita! :D Also, this dress you have seems interesting. Would you take a pic of it? No guarantees but I might, might have some advice :3 (this is Megan from your comm btw lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know. I'm propagating stereotypes, and I kinda regret wording that way, but that's all I could think of. And back then, I was sooooo ita, I'm still embarrassed to think about it.

      Yeah, I'll post some on FB at a later date. xD

      Delete
  2. I agree with Megan. You don't have to buy or even own brand to be a true lolita. Heck the closest thing I have to brand is my skirt and matching bows from Eat Me Ink Me. And I am totally into thrifting. It's a great way to get some awesome and unique lolita pieces.

    That dress may well come in handy some day. Or if you deiced to get rid of it take it to a consignment shop just before prom or some other dance event when teens will be looking for dresses like that. That way you can make some money off of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just have to do that. I'm honestly unsure if anyone'll want it, though. It does have some minor stains.

      Delete